WLSSD's Food Waste Drop Sites
FREE food waste recycling is available at WLSSD's food waste drop sites. You can send less to the landfill and reduce odors in your garbage can by recycling food waste. WLSSD can compost all food waste—even meat, fish, small bones and dairy products.
Close the Loop by recycling your food waste!
See our drop site brochure for more information on:
- WHAT food wastes you can recycle
- TIPS on collecting food waste
- HOW to use the drop sites
- WHERE to drop off food waste
- WHY you should recycle your food waste
Have a special event coming up? Borrow our waste free party kit and make your celebration Earth-friendly!
Compost happens! See how we make Garden Green Compost at WLSSD's Organics Composting site.
YES! Bring these to the drop sites: NO! Don't bring these items:
- Keep a food scrap container near the kitchen sink for easy access.
- Wrap smelly food, such as fish, in newspaper. Freeze until you are ready to drop it off and place it, paper and all, in a biodegradable bag.
- Prior to drop-off, all food waste must be placed in securely tied, biodegradable bags. Twist-ties are OK.
- Biodegradable bags are provided free at WLSSD-staffed drop sites or can be purchased from these Duluth
• Cub Foods
• Duluth Paper & Specialties
• Marshall Hardware
• Twin Ports Paper & Supply
• Whole Foods Co-op
- Small-size bags fit inside 1-2 gallon scrap containers. Large-size bags fit inside kitty litter tubs and 5-gallon pickle buckets - perfect for freezer clean-outs!
- Use WLSSD's Waste-Free Party Kit to collect food waste at parties, church suppers, family reunions, and holiday gatherings - it's free, just call 722-0761 to reserve a kit.
- At WLSSD facilities, check in with the site attendant for instructions and to obtain a new biodegradable bag for your next visit.
- At neighborhood drop sites, oversight and instructions are provided by host businesses. Bags are available for purchase or may be provided by the host.
- Secure your food waste in biodegradable bags, gently place in the drop site bin, and close the bin lid.
- Never leave food waste outside of bin.
- For large amounts, please use the bins located at WLSSD's Materials Recovery Center or WLSSD's 27th Ave. W. facilities.
WLSSD Yard Waste Compost Site
WLSSD Household Hazardous Waste Site (Winter Only)
|WLSSD Materials Recovery Center
Rice Lake & Ridgeview Rds.
|Marshall Hardware (parking lot behind store)
4415 E. Superior St.
Willard Munger Inn (parking lot)
Chester Creek Cafe (parking lot)
Separating food scraps from your garbage is easy. The valuable nutrients that remain in the food waste are recycled into compost. Also, you'll send less to the landfill and reduce odors in your garbage can. By composting food scraps, we "close the loop", making a great compost called Garden Green® to enrich the soil and grow more food!
Why not make your next special event waste-free? Use our FREE Waste-free Party kits:
- Collect food prep scraps and leftovers - even biodegradable plates, cups, napkins, and utensils: no waste, all compostable!
- We supply instructions, signage, and compact rolling bins lined with compostable bags. Kits transport easily in most cars.
- A wide array of compostable serveware, from clear "plastic" cups to sturdy sugar cane plates and bowls is available locally.
- Bring your bagged food waste to either our 27th Ave. W. facility or the Materials Recovery Center at Rice Lake and Ridgeview Roads.
- Reserve a party kit - call the WLSSD Hotline at 218-722-0761.